Housing at EAC

On- or Off- Campus?

Which is best for you?

The answer depends on what's important to you. We've compared residential on-campus living to living off-campus and commuting. Living in the residence halls costs approximately $17- $39 per day and includes room, meals, utilities, basic cable, campus security, laundromat, parking and proximity to classes! (Although The College does not own any off-campus housing, The Student Life Office maintains a list of rooms, apartments, mobile homes and houses which are available for students. It is updated at the landlord's request.) The following are some things to think about as you decide between on- and off-campus living:

Residential Students

Commuter Students

Location? All residence halls are located on the North end of campus within a 3-minute walk of food service, Gherald L. Hoopes Jr. Activities Center, Library, computer labs, post office and within a 5-minute walk to most classes. Location? There are a few apartment complexes and a mobile home park in Thatcher. Several of the rentals are houses or parts of private residences. Safford and Pima locations and some Thatcher addresses, including those in Daley Estates, are not within walking distance of campus.
Cost? A residence hall room for the entire year averages out to $11.97-$15.81 per day for the academic year. Fees are paid at the beginning of the semester, eliminatie  worry about coming up with the rent every month. Janitorial staff cleans the common areas in the halls each day. Cost? You will need to budget to meet your monthly rent, food, cable, and utility costs. Balance the advantages of cost vs. privacy. How many people will you need to share your space with in order to cut costs? Will the quality of your food and living environment be conducive to your college success?
Food? When you have purchased a declining balance meal plan, you know that you will always have good, freshly prepared food whether you have a dime in your pocket or not! The meal plans average from $4.50 to $23.08 per day for the entire year. Food? Commuter students are welcome to eat in campus dining facilities. They can purchase any meal plan or eat on a cash basis.
Transportation? As mentioned above, classes and food service are within easy walking distance of the residence halls. Retail stores, doctors' offices and banking services are 2 to 4 miles away. Transportation? Most Thatcher residences are within walking or biking distance of campus. All other locations would require a vehicle.
Safety? Residence halls are staffed by staff trained to monitor the security of the hall. Part-time student employees work at the front desks of the residence halls. The Campus Police office is located in their own building on middle campus. Security officers are available 24 hours per day. The Thatcher Police Department is located across Highway 70 from the College and the EAC parking lots are well lit. Safety? Is it located in a well-lighted area? Who is responsible for repairs? Who will the neighbors be? Are the windows and doors secure?
Roommates? The Residence Life Staff at each hall will help students address roommate issues and make reassignments if necessary. Even if your roommate moves out, you cannot be stuck with the rent. Roommates? The people you share your living space with can be very influential on your academic habits, living habits, social life and definitely your wallet! What is your plan in case your roommates leave or don't pay their share of the rent or utilities, or eat your food? Will they help with the cleaning? What if they let someone you don't like visit or move in? What if your lifestyles are in conflict? Choose your roommates carefully!
Payment? Room and meal plans are paid prior to move-in. There are no further payments required during the semester except for damages. No refund for room after end of registration for the semester. Meal plan refunds are calculated at a weekly pro-rated amount at time of check out of hall. Payment? Rents are paid monthly. Money management is crucial to insure that you will have funds available late in the semester. If a lease is required, you may be responsible for rent payments even if you have withdrawn from school.
Deposits? A $150 deposit secures your room and converts to a damage deposit when you move in. It is refundable when you check out of a hall, if after the end of late registration. Deposits? Typically you will have to pay the first and last month's rent, plus a damage deposit.
Utilities? All utilities, WiFi, plus free basic TV cable are included in your room fee. Telephone hook-up is available in each room if you wish to pay for private service. Utilities? Check to see if deposits are required prior to hookup.
Laundry? Card-operated washers and dryers are available in each hall. Resident hall laundry facilities are not available for non-residents. Laundry cards are available for purchase in the Residence Towers lobby. Laundry? There are laundromats in Thatcher and Safford if the rental does not have facilities.
Parking? All campus parking is free and close to each hall. Parking? Properties vary on parking availability. There is plenty of parking on campus for off-campus students commuting to classes.
Mail? Local post office has boxes for rent for 6 months or annually. Mail? Local post office has boxes for rent for 6 months or annually.
Activities? Typically residential students have easier access to campus activities and meet a wider variety of people. Activities? Will your housing arrangement be conducive to your participation in college activities? Will it be easy to meet new friends?
Rules? Yes, there are more rules in the residence halls than off-campus. They are designed for the overall protection of all the residents and address security, safety and consideration of others. Rules? Some landlords have very specific rules. Who will set the rules you live by in your rental? It can be very hard to ask friends to change their behavior.
What if you need help? It is the full-time responsibility of the live-in, adult Hall Staff to manage the residence hall and to assist the students with questions and minor or emergency problems which may arise. They are supported by the Student Life Office, Counseling Department, and Campus Police Office. What if you need help? The Student Life and Counseling Offices support services are available to all students. Local police and ambulance services are available in emergencies.