Financial Aid Questions

I have not lived with my parents for some time and they provide none of my living expenses, do I have to include their information on the FAFSA?

Parental information and signatures are not required if you answer "yes" to any of the following questions:

  • Will you be 23 years of age before January 1 of the year for which you are seeking financial aid?

  • Will you be working on a master's or doctoral program (such as MS, MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, etc.) in the year for which you are seeking financial aid?

  • As of today, are you married? (Answer yes if you are separated, but not divorced)

  • Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?

  • Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and receive more than half of their support from you and will these dependents continue to live with you and be supported by you through June 30 of the academic year for which you are seeking financial aid?

  • Are you an orphan or ward of the court or were you a ward/dependent of the court until age 18?

  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces? (See the application for the Dept. of Education's definition of "veteran")

If any student feels there are extenuating circumstances which should be considered in determining the dependency status, they may appeal to the Director of Financial Aid. Contact the Financial Aid Office for further instructions.


If I want to work Institutional Work Study, do I have to apply for Financial Aid because I know I will not qualify for Federal Work Study?

All work study students need to complete the FAFSA application process as soon as possible. However, a student who is working Institutional Work Study can begin working prior to receiving the results of the FAFSA.


What is the deadline for applying for Financial Aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) should be submitted as soon as possible after January 1 if you plan to enroll the following fall term. Eastern Arizona College's deadline for priority consideration is March 1. Since errors or incomplete forms cause delays it is important to complete the form early, carefully and accurately. If there are difficulties or questions in filling out the form, please request assistance from the Financial Aid Office. However a student can apply for a Pell Grant during the academic year. Prior to the end of the last semester attended for the academic year, a file must be complete to be awarded financial aid (if eligible). Other aid for which a student is eligible would be awarded if funds are still available.


What happens to my Pell Grant if I drop a class?

Continued eligibility for financial aid is conditional upon maintaining satisfactory academic progress. Progress is checked, basically, at the end of the spring semester. Note exceptions as listed. These standards should not be confused with the academic standards of the College, which may differ.

Completion rate requirement: You are required to complete at least 24 credit hours for the academic year if you receive aid for full-time enrollment for the fall and spring terms. Proportional amounts of time will be required of students that are enrolled part-time for one or both semesters.

Satisfactory grade point average requirement. The following scale of hours attempted (not earned) and grade point average is used to meet this requirement:

1-30 semester hours

1.75 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale

31+ semester hours

2.00 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale

Students failing to comply with the above standards will be placed on financial aid probation for the next semester they attend, excluding summer. A student may utilize the summer term(s) to complete needed hours from EAC or other acceptable educational institutions. However, only Eastern Arizona College classes can affect the cumulative GPA. A student may still receive assistance while on probation, but must complete the enrollment level for which they are paid financial aid with a 2.00 semester GPA. NOTE: Students on financial aid probation will have their status checked at the end of the probation semester.

Failure to comply with probation requirements will result in financial aid suspension and cancellation of further financial aid. NOTE: Students that complete NO semester hours will be immediately placed upon financial aid suspension and any aid cancelled for the remainder of the academic year.


Can I get a Pell Grant if I only take one class?

A student taking one class is considered to be “less than half time”. A student can receive a Pell Grant for less than half time if they are in an appropriate major and their EFC (Expected Family Contribution) is not too high. When a student applies for a Pell Grant the amount of the award is calculated using the appropriate Pell Grant Payment Schedule for Full time, Three Quarter Time, Half Time or Less Than Half Time. The EFC is obtained from the ISIR and then correlated with the appropriate cost of education to arrive at the Pell award for the year.


What happens after I apply for a Tribal Grant and when can I get my check?

A student will need to apply for a Tribal Grant at their Higher Education Office. Each Tribal Higher Education Office has requirements and deadlines. Included in these requirements are applying for a FAFSA and completing the Financial Aid file in a timely manner. Eastern Arizona College's deadline for priority consideration is March 1. The Financial Aid Office will need to award the student’s file prior to sending a Needs Analysis to the Tribal Higher Education Office. It is the student’s responsibility to provide Eastern Arizona College Financial Aid a copy of their Needs Analysis from their Tribal Higher Education Office.

At the same time the Financial Aid Office sends the student an award letter, the Needs Analysis for that student is sent to the appropriate Tribal Higher Education Office. After the Needs Analysis has been sent, a student should contact the Tribal Higher Education Office for further information regarding their Tribal Grant award.

Tribal Grant checks are frequently not sent until after the semester has begun. You must have a copy of your award letter from your Tribal Higher Education Office if you plan to use a Tribal Grant to obtain a Promissory Note at Eastern Arizona College.


Can I send someone to pick up my financial aid check?

No. You must appear in person, present a picture ID and sign for your financial aid check.


When will my check be ready?

Before your check can be prepared, your financial aid must be available in your account and you must finalize with a cashier. Early disbursement of financial aid checks begins at noon on the same day the dorms open. Checks are written daily through the first week of school. After the first week of school, checks are written once a week and are available on Friday after 8:30 a.m.